The vision of the PSHCE department is to equip students with the ability to deal with the challenges of everyday life, both as a young person and as an adult, developing their awareness in an increasingly complex world.
Our Personal, Social, Health and Citizenship Education (PSHCE) department is a team of seven specialist, dedicated teachers who deliver one lesson of PSHCE per week to all of our students in Years 7 to 11. This dedicated time ensures we are fulfilling our statutory obligations concerning the new Relationships and Sex Education (RSE) and Health Education announced by the government this year.
The PSHCE curriculum is designed to challenge students, enabling them to develop the knowledge and the confidence to apply content to real life situations. PSHCE empowers students, building their resilience and the knowledge that what they aspire to achieve is within their reach. PSHCE enables our students to become successful and happy adults who make meaningful contributions to society. All knowledge delivered in PSHCE fulfils the statutory obligations and ensures that our students can confidently
- Understand how to live their life safely both on and off line
- Know how to remain safe and healthy
- Learn how to manage their academic, personal and social lives in a positive way
- Understand how to assess if they need support and know where to access this support
- Understand how to identify and manage risks
- Make informed decisions
- Develop healthy nurturing relationships, of all kinds
- Know what is healthy and unhealthy in all relationships they have.
The PSHCE curriculum will be taught sensitively and inclusively. In Years 9, 10 and 11 students will be taught about issues arising in relation to intimate and sexual relationships including sexual health. This will take place during specific relationships and sex education topics.
All content delivered will support students to develop resilience, character and build skills that will enable them to grow into happy, successful young adults. All students will learn about the content detailed below in an age and developmentally appropriate way.