Health and Social Care
Health and Social Care is now available in our suite of subjects taught at KS4 and KS5. For more details of our KS5 Health and Social Care course, please visit the Sixth Form section of this website.
BTEC Level 1/Level 2 Technical Award in Health and Social Care (Pearson)
The qualification has 3 components:
- Component 1 - Human Lifespan Development which is internally assessed
- Component 2 - Health and Social Care Services and Values which is internally assessed
- Component 3 - Health and Wellbeing which is an externally assessed synoptic task.
Both Component 1 and Component 2 = 60% of the final grade and Component 3 = 40% of the final grade.
As teaching for Component 1 and Component 2 has been completed during Year 10, learners will be writing the internally assessed units as follows:
- Component 1 - Human Lifespan Development (September – October)
- Component 2 - Health and Social Care Services and Values (November – December)
The teaching of Component 3 - Health and Wellbeing will commence in January and will be assessed externally in a 2 hour exam.
Websites and reading
Recommended text for purchase: Baker et al, (2017), BTEC Tech Award Heath and Social Care Student Book, Pearson, ISBN 9781292200927
Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate/Diploma in Health and Social Care
For overviews of these courses, please see the Sixth Form section of this website.
Websites and reading
Billingham M et al, (2016), BTEC National Health and Social Care Student Book 1, Pearson, ISBN 9781292126012
Aldworth C et al, (2016), BTEC National Health and Social Care Student Book 2, Pearson, ISBN 9781292126029
Revise BTEC National Health and Social Care Revision Workbook, Pearson (2017), ISBN 9781292230580
Revise BTEC National Health and Social Care Revision Guide, Pearson (2017), ISBN 9781292230443
- www.hpc-uk.org – The Health and Care Professions Council (HPC)
- www.hscic.gov.uk – The Health and Social Care Information Centre
- www.cqc.org.uk – The Care Quality Commission
- www.gov.uk – The Equality Act 2010 and The Care Act 2014
- www.local.gov.uk – The Local Government Association
- www.england.nhs.uk – NHS England
- www.scie.org.uk – Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE)
- www.nice.org.uk – National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
- www.who.org – World Health Organisation
- www.un.org – United Nations
- www.ons.gov.uk – Office of National Statistics
- www.cqc.org.uk – Care Quality Commission (CQC)
- www.hra.nhs.uk – Health Research Authority
- www.nmc.org.uk – Nursing and Midwifery Council
- www.adass.org.uk – Association of Directors of Adult Social Services
- www.adcs.org.uk – Association of Directors of Children’s Services
- www.hse.gov.uk – Health and Safety Executive
- www.citizensadvice.org.uk – Citizens Advice